Saturday, June 27, 2009

In Eugene

We, and the bike made it to Eugene! I am sitting in the lounge of our Bed and Breakfast. We tried to find a simple hotel but everything was booked up. We now know that the national track and field championships are being held here. It's quite a lovely place.

Kendal drove us to the train station and we packed up the bike using two bike boxes telescoped together. A group of five bicyclists rode in from Santa Cruz and arrived around the same time. They were taking the train to Vancouver and planned to ride the entire Pacific Coast Trail to San Diego. Another guy was packing his folding bike into a box, on his way up to see his mom in Portland. I do not think the ticket agent had seen so many bikes in one day and was quite overwhelmed. There was talk of not enough boxes, and if there would be enough room on the train, but everybody (and bikes) made it on.



After boarding the train and stashing our stuff we went directly to the dining car for dinner. We had a small (very small) sleeper cabin. I got the top bunk! I think we slept some. Breakfast in the lounge car, hung around and Ev worked on her paper, I read my Kindle. Lunch, then packed up. Our plan was to exit the train, and I was to run to the baggage car to make sure our bike got off. I got there just as the porter dropped our bike on the ground (he said he was sorry.) Kendal, the bubble wrap worked. No apparent damage. I put the handle bars and peddles on, loaded up and off we went to find the B&B.

The B&B serves breakfast around 8:30AM. We plan to be on the road soon after. Next stop, Florence, OR. 65 miles away and one scary tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment